Post-9/11 GI Bill

The Post 9/11 GI Bill provides qualifying active duty service members and honorably-discharged veterans with up to 36 months of education, licensing and training benefits.

For instance, veterans may use 9 11 GI Bill funds to pay for an undergraduate or graduate degree, distance learning programs, training opportunities, testing, vocational programs, and licensing or certifications. Other benefits may include housing allowances, stipends for books, and one-time payments for students who relocate from a rural town to attend a learning institution in a larger city.

While Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits must be used within 15 years if service members separated from active duty prior to January 1, 2013, they do not need to meet this time limitation if they were discharged after this date. However, some service members may qualify to transfer these benefits to their children or spouse, or they may transfer them to a combination of these two parties. To learn more about these Post-9/11 GI Bill eligibility requirements, review the information below.

What are the Post-9/11 GI Bill requirements?

To obtain Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits, veterans must have served 90 or more days of active duty service and they must separate from the military for honorable reasons. However, veterans must have served on active duty after September 10, 2001, and they must serve at least 36 months of active duty if they wish to obtain the full benefit amount.

Additional Post-9/11 GI Bill eligibility requirements include the following:

  • Applicants must be current military members who meet the minimum amount of required service.
  • Applicants must be veterans who separated from the military for honorable reasons.
  • Veterans must have been discharged after 30 days due to a service-connected disability.
  • Applicants must be Reservists who lost their benefits under the Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP) in November 2015.

Related Article: Montgomery GI Bill

While veterans receive the full Post-9/11 GI Bill benefit amount if they complete at least 3 years (36 months) of active duty service, they will only receive a percentage of the full benefit amount if they serve less than 36 months. To learn more about these eligibility percentages, refer to the following chart.

Length of Active Duty Service Percentage of Maximum Post-9/11 GI Bill

Payment Amount

36 months or longer 100 percent
At least 30 consecutive days 100 percent (if honorably-discharged)
Between 30 and 36 months 90 percent
Between 24 and 30 months 80 percent
Between 18 and 24 months 70 percent
Between 12 and 18 months 60 percent
Between six and 12 months 50 percent
Between 90 days and six months 40 percent


Note: Full Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits are available to Purple Heart recipients, regardless of their length of service.

Can you transfer your Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits?

To perform a Post-9/11 GI Bill transfer to a child, spouse or other dependents, veterans must submit a request while actively serving in the Armed Forces. During this time, the Department of Defense (DoD) will determine whether veterans may transfer these benefits to their dependents. If veterans do qualify to transfer their unused benefits, they may choose to transfer all or some of them. To transfer Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits to a child or spouse, however, all transferees must be registered in the Defense Eligibility Enrollment Reporting System (DEERS). Additionally, veterans must meet the following eligibility requirements:

  • They must hold at least 6 years of active duty or selected reserve service and agree to serve an additional 4 years.
  • They must hold at least 10 years of active duty or selected reserve service and agree to serve for the maximum allowable amount of time (if the DoD or their branch of the military prohibits them from serving 4 additional years).
  • They must submit their request for a transfer while actively serving in the Armed Forces.

After the DoD approves the Post-9/11 GI Bill transfer, the transferees must apply for these benefits by completing an Application for Family Member to Use Transferred Benefits (VA Form 22-1990E). Then, they must mail the application to their regional VA processing office (RPO). As another option, transferees may apply online through the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs website.

Note: Additional Post-9/11 GI Bill changes will take effect on July 20, 2019. After this date, only service members with less than 16 years of service may transfer their educational benefits to a dependent.

Post-9/11 GI Bill Housing Allowances

Under the VA Post-9/11 GI Bill, most Monthly Housing Allowances (MHAs) are the same as the military Basic Allowances for Housing (BAH) for that of E-5 service members with dependents. However, allowances also vary depending on a school’s zip code. To obtain school-specific MHAs, students may use the GI Bill Comparison Tool under the VA’s website or they may use the BAH Calculator under the website of the Defense Travel Management Office.

Moreover, standard Post-9/11 GI Bill BAH rates may include the following:

School/Program Type MHA Rates
Foreign Schools $1,650
Schools in U.S. Territories Same as E-5 ranking with dependents*
Online Instruction $825
Part-Time Enrollment None
Active Duty Trainees or Transferee Spouses None


Note: Post-9/11 GI Bill BAH rates vary by zip code and military pay grade. If students reside within the 85001 zip code, for instance, former E-5 military members with dependents would receive an allowance of $1,602 per month, while veterans without dependents would receive a monthly allowance of $1,323. If students reside within the 32830 zip code, however, former E-5 servicemembers with dependents would receive an allowance of $1,734 per month, while veterans without dependents would receive a monthly allowance of $1,419.

As part of the Post-9/11 GI Bill, veterans also receive annual stipends of up to $1,000 for covering the cost of books and other school supplies. Some students may receive a one-time payment of $500 if they choose to relocate from a rural area with less than six residents per square mile and meet one of the following conditions:

  • They physically move at least 500 miles away to attend a learning institution.
  • They travel by air to physically attend a learning institution (if land-based transportation is not possible).

Current Post-9/11 GI Bill Rates

Most Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits and tuition amounts vary depending on several factors, including a veteran’s total length of service, the type of school he or she wishes to attend, and the type of training or education he or she wishes to receive. To explore current Post-9/11 GI Bill rates for the period of August 1, 2018 through July 31, 2019, review the tables below.

Higher Learning Institution Rates

School Type Maximum Reimbursement Per School Year
Public School All in-state tuition and fee payment rates*
Foreign or Private School Up to $23,671.94 per school year
Non-Degree Schools In-state tuition fees of up to $23,671.94 per school year*
Vocational Flight Schools Net costs of up to $13,526.81 per school year
Correspondence Schools Net costs of up to $11,497.78 per school year
Tests for Licensing and Certifications Up to $2,000 per examination


Note: Veterans may qualify for in-state tuition rates if they reside in that state, even if they do not permanently reside there.

Training and Apprenticeship Rates

Training Period Monthly Rate
First six months 100 percent of MHA
Second six months 80 percent of MHA
Third six months 60 percent of MHA
Fourth six months 40 percent of MHA
Any remaining months 20 percent of MHA


How to Apply for Post-9/11 GI Bill Benefits

To apply for Post-9/11 Gi Bill benefits, veterans may submit an online application through the website of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, or they may apply in person at a local VA Regional Office. As another option, veterans may call 888-442-4551 to request a paper application by mail. When completing an Application for VA Education Benefits (Form 22-1990), applicants generally need to provide the following information:

  • Their Social Security Number (SSN)
  • Their direct deposit banking information
  • Their military and education history
  • Information about the college or training institution they wish to attend

For Post-9/11 Gi Bill application assistance, veterans may speak with a VA Certifying Official at their school or learning intuition. After applying for benefits, the VA will typically reach a determination within 30 days. Certain schools may offer veterans additional GI benefits, such as those for the Yellow Ribbon Program.

Related Article: Veterans Educational Assistance

It might also interest you: